- Think about the outcome you wish to achieve and design your communication to achieve this.
- Use standard terminology, refrain from jargon.
- Practice your communication before you deliver it.
Practice the effective communication blend
- Consider the words you use carefully – approx. 9% of impact on audience.
- Consider the tones you use while communicating – approx. 36% of impact on audience.
- Consider your body language/movement “dance”, while communicating – approx. 55% of impact on audience.
Do check for understanding
- Ensure your desired intent has had the desired impact.
- Ask the other person/audience to clarify what they have heard.
- If the other person/audience does not receive the message as intended, then you need to communicate in a different way, the onus is on you.
This business tip is sponsored by BPD Associates Limited, a JobsTT partner. If you want support in developing yourself and/or your team on this topic, please visit www.bpdassociates.com.