Be sure that you delegate to a person with the skills to complete the task
- Be sure that the team member you delegate the task to is capable of doing the task.
- Ensure the team member is willing to do the task.
- Ensure the team member understands what they’re committing to.
Provide details on desired expectations
- Provide clarity about your desired outcome(s). Make them measurable. If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.
- Communicate context behind the reason for the task and expected deadlines.
- Agree to the frequency and communication update method i.e. status updates to you e.g. daily, weekly, monthly, via phone, face to face, email etc.
Do test for understanding
- First think through the task and know clearly what you want the outcome to be.
- Replace the phrase, “Now what did I just tell you?” with “How would you explain this task to a fellow team member?”
- Ensure they understand it, accept it, and become committed to it so they walk away feeling, ”This is my job; I own it.”
This business tip is sponsored by BPD Associates Limited, a JobsTT partner. If you want support in developing yourself and/or your team on this topic, please visit www.bpdassociates.com.