Begin by understanding the facts
- Clarify the problem.
- Identify the facts.
- Understand your feelings and what is driving them.
Plan and think through a win/win approach
- Avoiding, comprising, competing or being accommodating will not create a win/win solution.
- Collaboration brings about the win/win. Find all the ways you can agree on a solution or parts of a solution.
- Identify what you and the other party would need to both have, in order to both win.
Deliver with empathy
- Listen with an open heart and mind.
- See the situation from the other person’s perspective.
- Understand their desired outcome and see how best the two of you can achieve what you both want.
This business tip is sponsored by BPD Associates Limited, a JobsTT partner. If you want support in developing yourself and/or your team on this topic, please visit www.bpdassociates.com.