Build clear goals and expectations
- Support your team member in setting SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, timely) goals.
- Your team member must be involved in the process so that they take ownership. The goal should be negotiated, not dictated.
- Ensure there is collaboration between you and your team members, should the goals or expectations change.
- Hold regularly scheduled coaching sessions to review your team members’ performance.
- Motivate them to continue good performance.
- At the end of each coaching session, ensure your team member has articulated the specific actions and completion dates.
Delve into new perspectives
- Challenge absolute statements limiting or old belief that hold your team members back e.g. “I have never…” , “I always…”
- Ask very specific thought provoking, open ended questions i.e. when, who, where, why, how, what.
- Ensure you’re not telling your team members what to do or how to do things, but rather helping them find the answers on their own.
This business tip is sponsored by BPD Associates Limited, a JobsTT partner. If you want support in developing yourself and/or your team on this topic, please visit www.bpdassociates.com.