Begin with the end in mind
- Define the problem or opportunity accurately.
- Set your objectives clearly in your own mind, including your minimum acceptable outcome, your anticipated outcome and your ideal outcome.
- Define the win/win situation.
Plan the negotiation
- Put yourself in the other person’s shoes.
- Rehearse the responses to difficult questions you may be asked.
- Think about how to best illustrate your points .
Drive for win/win
- Understand the other person’s desired outcome.
- See the areas of similarity.
- Agree on a situation where you both win.
This business tip is sponsored by BPD Associates Limited, a JobsTT partner. If you want support in developing yourself and/or your team on this topic, please visit www.bpdassociates.com.